Saturday, February 9, 2008

Winter Squash

I love winter squash: butternut and kabocha. Amy Goldman has a very interesting book for squash lovers: The Compleat Squash: A Passionate Grower's Guide to Pumpkins, Squashes, and Gourds. It is an oversized book lavishly illustrated with fantastic photographs by Victor Schrager and it is not owned by the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh: I had to borrow it from the South Park Township Library.
Goldman has squashes I have never seen or heard of. She is a particular fan of blue squashes which are popular in Australia, for instance the blue banana squash. In California pink banana squash is very common and slices are sold in supermarkets. Agricultural research stations also use them for growing ladybugs, or so I was told by Fernando Agudelo when I was at Berkeley in the 1970s. The Australian Blue group of squashes and the banana squashes are members of the Cucurbita maxima species. Most U.S. squashes are Curcurbita pepo and Cucurbita moschata.
So after reading Goldman's book, I've come up with a list I'd like to try and I haven't grown winter squash here in Monroeville before.
However, the farmers' market always seems to have a fair collection of different kinds and naturally the ones I want to try are the ones they don't have, like Triamble (8.5 pounds) but the problem is that it takes 4-5 months to mature and our growing season isn't as long as that in Australia.
Marina di Chioggia is Italian and a warty greenish blue.
Olive Vert - looks like and oversized green olive...
Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin - has netting on its skin.
Rareseeds.com (Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in Missouri) offers a wide range of seeds.
So I went to Rareseeds.com and picked up most of these squashes and then a couple more, including Jarrahdale and Black Futsu. And so that I wouldn't waste my $3 shipping fee, I ordered some Thai Round leaf Amaranth and some cos/Romaine lettuce (Forellenschluss and Petite Rouge). Romaine lettuce does very well in southwestern Pennsylvania. And then just out of curiosity I picked up some Roselle seeds (Jamaica, the hibiscus that produces the red flowers for the Mexican drink). I don't know how far along I'll get with the roselles as they are more appropriate for Florida and probably won't manage to bloom here. But maybe I can bring it inside...

No comments: